My inky travels along life's rocky road

Friday, 20 January 2017

Mini Album

Towards the end of last year I bought a Sizzix die set in the sale. It was a Lori Whitlock set called essential mini album with numerous pieces from which you could cut album pages, the spine, matting pages and other little bits and bobs to help embellish the album. January is always the perfect month to try new things out and this is what I made:


The papers were from a Papermania collection (antique cream) and a DCWV set (serenity). Apart from the letter and the numbers all the die cuts you can see here came from this set. It was very easy to put together and the pages are a nice size.

Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Alphabet ATCs - W for Winter


While I had my Christmas things out I decided to use them for a winter themed ATC for my second swap entry. I used a Rubber Stampede tree stamp on some snowflake patterned paper and a torn strip of white paper. The snowmen are made with a punch - I edged them with some weathered wood DI so that they stood out against the white background. I punched out a few extra snowflakes brushed with Wink of Stella and added some clear sequins.

Monday, 16 January 2017

Craft Therapy


Some days you just have the urge to make something for the hell of it, just to lose yourself in thinking about something other than that thought that is uppermost in your mind. Yesterday was such a day. Our day started with some very dramatic events that I won't go into here but at the end of the day no one was hurt. I wanted to make something to unwind and I spotted a freebie coaster sitting on my desk waiting to have something done to it.
I found this quote online and it seemed to fit the bill. I covered the coaster with some text paper and then added ripe persimmon, cracked pistachio and salty ocean DIs. I wasn't too sure where I was going with this but added some gesso through TH scribbles layering stencil. The flower is cut from a Sizzix Lori Whitlock die and I added a brad and some sequins to finish the piece.

Tuesday, 10 January 2017

New Year, New Challenge

Having completed the alphabet challenge on the Craft Barn blog last year I was interested to see what the new challenge would be. This year they are taking Sara Coleridge's poem 'The Garden Year' one verse/month at a time. You can read all the details for the challenge here.
Having decided to take part, much time has been spent settling on a format. I finally chose to use a rough postcard size 16.5 x 10cm which I will bind into a book at the end of the year. I had problems punching the binding holes after the pages were complete last year so I have done all the hole punching in advance this time.
For January the added twist is that the page has to have 'a bird in a wellington boot'!!!! My drawing skills are non-existent and I had no welly stamps so I spent a while trying to figure out how to deal with this. Twelfth Night came to the rescue - as I was taking down the Christmas cards I noticed one with 2 girls in wellies and miracle of miracles the snowy scene they were in was surrounded by a frame which had a couple of robins. Just get your magnifying glasses ready...


Not a great pic but it's white on white with some glitter so it was never going to come out well. My base page has been embossed with the Cuttlebug snow folder.  I cut Memory Box's Country Landscape with a different brand of white card  - it's a slightly different white so the die cuts stand out a bit more. I coloured in the trees and roofs for some pops of colour to complement the wellies and robin and added glamour dust for some sparkle. The blue bits along the left are the holes ready for binding .
A tough start to the challenge but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's.

Saturday, 7 January 2017

Alphabet ATCs - W for World


This month's letter in the Alphabet ATC swap is W. I decided on World and used a TH stamp and die set for the image of the world. The text is from another TH die set of travel words. I mounted the die cuts on a black background splattered with white paint to give a starry effect.

Saturday, 31 December 2016

Dictionary Challenge - the final instalment


Having completed all 26 letters for the Craft Barn Dictionary Challenge it was time to bind my pages together into a book. Note to self : if you're planning to do this again make sure you punch the binding holes BEFORE sticking lumpy bits on! Of course it was the pesky dragonfly and the shells that caused the biggest problem LOL! They just wouldn't fit in my Bind-It-All, so with a sharp blade and a stout heart (forgive me I've been listening to Jane Austen over the holidays) I set to work. The next problem was that my 1" wires were just a tad too small. Luckily I had a strip of  1&1/4" but (insert suitable swear word here) I needed 14 loops and I only had 13!!!!!! Which is why you see the arrangement in the pic above (actually it worked out quite well).
I printed an index for the inside front:


Each page was mounted onto black card to tie it all together:


I've thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and am pleased to have completed it so thanks to everyone at the Craft Barn. I look forward to seeing what next year brings!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...